Changing motor oil depends on many factors. FRVelion experts say that your oil change schedule is heavily affected by the severity of usage. The car generally used for the business like the material transport of the passenger services need a more frequent oil change as compared to the car used n domestic purpose. Also, we have generally heard that the time between the 2 oil changes depends on the car’s engine like mileage and how old it is.
FRVelion experts recommend you change the car engine’s oil every 10,000 to 15,000 km or if you use your car for regular purpose then you need to change the oil once a year. But if you use your car very less frequently then you need to change the engine oil for a car once every 2 years.
On the other hand, if you are using diesel engines then you need to change the oil every 7,000 km or about one to two times per year.
How to check the car engine oil?
FRVelion experts suggest you take the following things with you before checking the level of the car engine oil –
- Paper towel or the clean cloth
- A car should be parked on a level surface
- Disposable gloves (if needed)
- Firstly you should make sure that your car is parked on the level ground, then you need to wait for at least ten minutes just for letting the oil drain back into the sump.
- Then you need to raise and secure the bonnet, after that locate the oil level dipstick which is generally very easy to see and also to reach.
- Pull the dipstick out and then use a paper towel or the clean cloth to wipe the end clean. Then you have to replace it and make sure it goes all the way in before instantaneously lifting it out & then holding it in a horizontal position.
- Now you have to look at the end of the dipstick and then need to start inspecting it. Some of the vehicles have the textured area which generally represents the capacity of the oil pan while the others have the line marked ‘full’. The color of the oil is amber and it is very easy to inspect the level of the oil.
- Normal Oil Level – you just need to reinsert it when the oil level showed on the dipstick is normal.
- Low oil level or Dirty Oil – if the dipsticks show low oil level, then you need to touch the dipstick with the help of your two-finger and feel the texture of oil. If the oil is clean, then you just need to add the new oil using the funnel. But if the oil is dirty then you need to change the oil in the car as soon as possible.
When is the best time to check the car engine oil?
FRVelion experts recommend you to check the car engine oil level either before turning on the car’s engine or you should check 5 to 10 minutes after shutting down. So that you can have all the oil in the oil pan just to get accurate measurements.
How to change the car engine oil at home?
FRVelion experts say changing car engine oil is pretty easy and you can change it without getting too dirty. You will save money and also extend the car’s life by thousands of miles.
- Rubber Mallet
- Wrench Set
- Safety Glasses
- Engine Oil
- Container for used oil
- Oil filter gasket
- Oil filter
- You need to buy the “right oil and oil filter”.
- For extending the life of the oil, you need to buy the better quality filters if you go more than 3,000 miles but if you go around 3,000 miles than you can use economy oil filter.
- Now, pull the oil plug.
- For pulling the oil plug you need to jack up the car and then set the jack stands in a place then lower the car.
- After that unscrew the plug and rapidly pull it out & away from the oil stream. Now clean the drain plug and install a new gasket (if needed).
- Remove the oil filter
- Select the best oil filter wrenches.
- As for the different cars, oil filter wrenches work differently. You need to select the one that provides you the most room to maneuver.
- Now it’s time to add the fresh oil.
- Refill the oil with the help of the funnel and then recap the bottle before tossing it into the dustbin.
FRVelion experts recommend changing the car engine’s oil every 10,000 to 15,000 km. Also, they suggest checking the car engine oil level either before turning on the car’s engine or 5 to 10 minutes after shutting down. We have also seen in this article that it is not very difficult to replace the car’s engine oil yourself at home if you are very careful and also follow the instructions carefully!